Expermential USB Support (latest_121206)

This build is outdated.  Download the Stable Release from here or get the Latest Build from here. USB Suppor is now buiilt in.

I’ve added USB support. A StreetPilot c340 was made available to me today. With that, I was able to add USB support, at least an experimential state. There is a checkbox available in the preferences tab to enable USB based devices. This should cover the Garmin 60cx and the like.

Click Here to download Latest_12.12.06

There are lots of internal changes, but not many new features with this release. If something seems broken, let me know. One trying to optimize the code a little to make the application more responsive.

14 Comments

1. Joe said,

Wrote on December 12, 2006 @ 10:25 am

Excellent. Thanks for addding support for USB devices. cant wait to give it a while!

2. ray said,

Wrote on December 12, 2006 @ 2:49 pm

awesome software, and with the implementation of the usb devices it now works great with the Garmin 60 csx model.
    please keep me posted of any new revisions that might be in the works !!

3. joe said,

Wrote on December 12, 2006 @ 9:16 pm

Works fine with USB.

One thing i noticed, when i retrieve from usb, it appears to over write all data for existing waypoints. I loose all hints, logs etc..kinda problem.

is this what is supposed to happen when i do a’ from gps’?

thanks
    Joe

4. james.lewis said,

Wrote on December 12, 2006 @ 10:12 pm

Joe et al,

When you import from the GPS, the waypoint names are checked against the existing library. The name is added to the “GPS Import-x” cache list, but the rest of the data is skipped.

I just verified on my Venture and StreetPilot c340. Both work as I expected, without overwritting data.

I’ll think about it some more and see if I can figure out what might be happening.

If others see this behavior, let me know or post here.

5. ray said,

Wrote on December 14, 2006 @ 8:25 pm

james,

would it be possible to add a ” save or save as ” link inder the existing file tab so we can save cache info to removable media like jump drives or flash drives?

also

after we mark a cache as found on the gps, then import from the gps to the cache library, would it be possible to make it automatically delete waypoint .
    because if we forget to delete it from the cache list, the next time we upload to the gps it will show as a “unfound” cache.

6. ray said,

Wrote on December 14, 2006 @ 8:33 pm

in response to joe,

try double clicking on the waypoint, another window will pop up called the “coordinate editor”. this will have all the info from the cache including description and hints.

7. Jaume said,

Wrote on December 15, 2006 @ 5:44 am

Thanks a lot…eBut a StreetPilot c550 d’ont works :sad:

8. james.lewis said,

Wrote on December 15, 2006 @ 7:31 am

Ray,
    1) The “save as” or “export” is coming.
    2) I never thought of automatically deleting, but that shouldn’t be a problem. That will be included in the 0.3.0 release. It is going to enable “sync” which will do away with “from gps” and “to gps.” Instead, you’ll get a dialog which lets you configure what will happen. One of the options will be “delete found geocaches.”

For now, when I do “From GPS”, I sort the library by “sym”. This puts the all of the “Geocache Found” caches right next to each other. Then I visit geocaching.com and log each of them. When I’m done, I delete those. Lots of manual today, not so much in the future. 😉

“But a StreetPilot c550 d’ont works”

Jaume,
    Yeah, turns out the c550 doesn’t use the Garmin protocol. I’ll add a switch to enable support for units like the c550.

9. joe (geohiker55) said,

Wrote on December 17, 2006 @ 10:02 am

It works great with my etrex legend c through the USB connection

10. Pierre (exit106) said,

Wrote on December 23, 2006 @ 8:27 am

Love this. Beautiful work.

Works ok but not great on my Garmin 76cx. I can import gpx file from the unit using USB,:grin::grin:
    I cant edit in MacCaching, all seems well.:grin::grin:
    Uploading the new file to the GPS unit, either crashes MacCaching or lets it hang (message in box says 25% complete this might take a few minutes, 15minutes later message his the same).:sad::sad:

Wish list:
    Where I have different groups of waypoints in the cache list section, I would like to see drag and drop of ways points to different cache lists.
    Would like to see the actual icon in the symbol area of MacCaching, and a way to edit these.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I’m looking at this software as something which will be much more then geocaching, more like MacDo EverytingWithMyWaypoints software.

Many thanks, keep it up

11. Greg said,

Wrote on January 4, 2007 @ 11:38 pm

Oh man! I got an eTrex Legend Cx for Christmas and was so bummed I couldn’t just ‘plug-n-play’ with my PowerBook.

Then I found this MacCaching! Cool!

Works as advertised moving to and from GPS unit over USB. Can’t wait to be able save waypoints so I can import into other mapping software. For now the googlemaps button is adequate!

Thanks for your work on this. I paid $50 for some other software that crashes everytime I move data to/from the GPS receiver. 😳 Glad they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

12. Thomas Switala said,

Wrote on January 17, 2007 @ 4:31 am

Hey it seems the link is gone, does someone have a copy so that I can try it on my GPS 60. Thanks in advance

13. James said,

Wrote on January 17, 2007 @ 5:12 am

Either download the latest development release from: http://www.maccaching.com/tags/latest-build
    -or-
    the stable release from: http://www.maccaching.com/downloads

14. David Baumchen said,

Wrote on January 22, 2007 @ 11:56 pm

Everything worked smoothly the first time I used the upload GPX to my Garmin 60CSX GPS (USB?Serial) and now it appears to work but there are no new cords in my unit.

Comment RSS