Announcing: v0.5.0 of MacCaching

Here is a link to download v0.5.0 of MacCaching. New in this release:

• Column for Distance Calculations (and a calculator tool)
  • Fully Functional Coordinate Editor
  • Integrated Simple Search / Filter (kinda slow right now)
  • Verified Support for USB-Based Garmin GPS units (60cx, 70cx, and StreetPilots)
  • Initial Magallen Serial Support
  • Export to iPod for Paperless Caching
  • Library (or CacheList) Export

Of course, there are numerous bug fixes and smaller additions. To set your home coordinates for distance calculations just right click on a cache or set them in Preferences.

One outstanding issue is when you close the Coordinate editor, the Listing gets refreshed, losing your position. I’m working on that, but it isn’t a simple fix.

If you have comments, suggestions, or questions please feel free to add them below!

13 Comments

1. Announcing: v0.5.0 of MacCaching « CMiYC Labs, Inc. said,

Wrote on January 7, 2007 @ 5:12 pm

[…] Here is a direct link to MacCaching 0.5.0. […]

2. Joe said,

Wrote on January 7, 2007 @ 8:04 pm

Export to ipod works nice. Since i didnt want to sync all my contacts,i found it very easy to goto the address book once exported, LAST import> and add these to a new group I called GPS.

Then in itunes i sync only the GPS groups.

Some of the test formatting is weird, but the data is there!

Nice work

3. maccaching said,

Wrote on January 7, 2007 @ 10:28 pm

Thanks for the comments Joe!

I actually used the iPod Export today when I went Geocaching. First thing I need to figure out is how to strip the HTML. That just clogs up the screen. Then I need to work on being a little more intelligent with Address Book.

The site’s new look is thanks to the WordPress Theme “Fresh“.

Also, MacCaching is on a new hosting provider now. It should be MUCH faster!

4. Pierre (exit106) said,

Wrote on January 8, 2007 @ 6:41 pm

Great improvement since the last release. Very happy in seeing the metric radio button. The program is coming onto its own.

I still have problems with the program crashing while loading certain cache list to the GPS. Strangely when I go Send All the program uploads everything (including the problem Cache List) without crashing. So this is still a problem to me.

FYI
    I find the behavior of the search filter a bit strange. Why do I need to delete the search field? Right know selecting another Cache List makes the search happen again. Not sure. Would like to see where the waypoints are in the Cache List.

How about a way of reorganizing the cache list (ie: would want to bring number 3 on the list down to number 8 and vice versa.

But all and all love the way your making this evolve. It looks better all the time.

5. Marky said,

Wrote on January 8, 2007 @ 11:31 pm

Looking good, but there’s not enough there yet for me to use it. If you had an option to specify raw gpsbabel commands (or just included some of the export options I need), I could probably use it.

6. Latest: 0.5.0 Release Candiate 2 « MacCaching Free GeoCache Manager for OS X said,

Wrote on January 9, 2007 @ 9:05 pm

[…] This is an older version than the release 0.5.0. You probably want this download instead. […]

7. DavidMac said,

Wrote on January 11, 2007 @ 1:56 pm

Looks promising! Worked great for me using a 60CSx. Two things I would love to see are more export options (similar to the export menu in GSAK) and the ability to view cache data offline or online in a browser. I’ll drop you a line and see if there’s any way I can contribute.

8. anonymous said,

Wrote on January 11, 2007 @ 5:35 pm

working good with garmin 60csx via usb, thanks! :)

9. Laura said,

Wrote on January 14, 2007 @ 9:11 am

Finally got the new version to wrok. For those using OS X 10.3.9, you can use iSync to sync to your iPod for paperless caching. The only bug I’ve found and am not sure if it’s because of our older OS version or not is that I can only download ALL caches to the address book. If I have a separate cache list, for example “Florida trip” which holds caches I’ve picked to look for on a trip to FL, it won’t export just the caches in that list. I need to do ALL of my caches then weed the ones I don’t want out of the address book.

Also wish there was a way to see on the iPod the difficulty and size of the cache. We are new to this so that is information that would help.

Loving the program and it’s working great with our 60CSx and my Nano!

10. nick said,

Wrote on January 19, 2007 @ 12:27 am

This build won’t recognize my eXplorist. I can’t find supposedly uploaded files, nor will it download from my GPSr.

Also, I prefer (along with many other eXplorist users) working with .upt files – waypoints – rather than .gpx files for many reasons (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=9f2d70c821915a348baaf47e75d46198&showtopic=95859&st=0&p=1437480&#entry1437480)
    Any way you can work that in? On GPSBabel+ just use “Magellan SD files (as for eXplorist)” and append the .upt file extension. Thanks! I look forward to testing the Magellan build.

Nick

11. robb said,

Wrote on January 20, 2007 @ 8:05 am

Tried maccaching this morning, and was happy to see my 60CSx being recognized by my powerbook. Nice!! Previously I would have to use a PC notebook.

One thing though is that I would get an error loading a .loc file if it was named geocaching-1.loc, which happens when you download more than one file. So by taking off the -1 it worked.

Is there so way to make the program understand that a .loc file is one and just load it up regardless of what it is named?

Just wondering. I’ll be watching the evolution of this program.

Thanks.

12. Josh Fields said,

Wrote on January 29, 2007 @ 12:00 am

What about N/S latitude and E/W longitude, since there are some us who cache in different hemispheres? Thanks for the work. Looks GREAT!

13. Findus said,

Wrote on March 3, 2007 @ 4:13 am

Oh yeah! Finally I can stop using that Windows-Laptop which is collecting dust just to backup my Garmin 60CS from time to time. Now I need nothing else than my MacBook Pro. It is amazing how long it took until somebody finally got the OSX-USB-60CS connection established (Garmin announced it on their Web in Jan.06 for End.06 but still haven’t delivered)
    – THANK YOU.

It would be nice if we could display longi-/latitude in DD:MM:SS as an option/preference setting.

findus