iPhone Geocaching App

Do you have an iPhone (or other mobile phone with web access?)PQViewer on the iPhone

Then you might be interested in helping beta test my new web applications: PQViewer.

It is a pocket query viewer for mobile devices. Geocaching without your cell phone is not usually safe and many paperless cachers take a PDA with them. Now, you do not need to take a Palm Pilot or PocketPC with you… just your iPhone (or other web-enabled mobile device)!

The idea behind the web app is that you upload your pocket queries to the site (before you leave the house). Once out, you’ll have access to the PQ’s through the web interface. You can only display data from one pocket query at a time. Features like search and filters are being worked on (as of this post).

The user interface isn’t the final version. For now I’m just getting the all the basic features to work and then will go back to make the UI pretty (and more iPhone friendly). (Also, I don’t have an iPhone yet, so testing is limited for me.) Please send feedback to maccaching@mac.com.

Check out the PQViewer here.

13 Comments

1. Pablo Mac said,

Wrote on November 4, 2007 @ 10:30 pm

This product is all I need to push me over the edge to getting an iPhone. Thanx!

 Pablo Mac

2. Ric said,

Wrote on November 24, 2007 @ 9:20 pm

Awesome webapp but an actual installable program would be even better!!!!!!!

3. Daren said,

Wrote on December 28, 2007 @ 6:14 am

Works ok, still needs a search function and a few more things. We still need a local app for when you’re out caching in the remote areas where you don’t even have a cell phone signal much less wifi. If I can’t access the internet, it doesn’t do me much good in the boonies….

4. Will said,

Wrote on January 1, 2008 @ 9:05 am

Hurry up and finish the app. Publish it so we can test it. I have the iPhone and would love to test it in the field. However, there are some major limitations thus far.

Just from playing with it for a few minutes I noticed that the cache location Coods are not posted on the sample. Also, a button that returns you to the previous screen would be nice (i.e. view a hint and return to the previous page where you can look at logs).

Other than that I think publishing a 1.0 version with apple would be a great way to get it out there. Also, see if you can get the Geocaching site to endorse the application.

5. geekme said,

Wrote on January 1, 2008 @ 7:18 pm

Interesting app, but it really needs to run locally similar to palm apps like Cachemate to be of any real use, there are to many areas with no inet availability

6. Joe said,

Wrote on January 17, 2008 @ 9:38 pm

I have used it and like it I haven’t tried it since it first came out I will give it a try. The only missing feature was the search by waypoint .

7. blubalu said,

Wrote on January 20, 2008 @ 3:55 am

As others already said:
    a native version of this applicaton would be a great software.

The need of going online to access the data is the reason for not giving it a try right now.

8. Pablo Mac said,

Wrote on January 22, 2008 @ 10:33 pm

I have loads of cool native apps on my iPhone. The Installer app is great, and, with Apple releasing the Software Developers Kit next month, could a great native PQ Manager app as versatile as CacheMate be just around the corner? Duuuuude…

Let me know how I can help with the effort!

9. scott said,

Wrote on March 9, 2008 @ 8:07 pm

uhhhhhhhh i can’t get it to let me register, or login as a guest . . . something wrong with me? i am on firefox . . .

10. Matt Carrell said,

Wrote on March 18, 2008 @ 11:06 am

This might be more useful if it would just look the nearest caches up using the “find me” feature integrated into the google maps.. then nomatter where you are, you could find the nearest caches with no prior work on a desktop.. That would be entirely more useful than this is…

11. Darron Jeans said,

Wrote on March 23, 2008 @ 3:27 pm

Tried it out on a recent cache hunt. Unfortunately, where I was out on the trails, I had no signal and couldn’t get online. With the recent release of the iPhone SDK, perhaps you could write it as a native app. That would make it far more useful.

12. Ron Malinowski said,

Wrote on April 12, 2008 @ 12:51 pm

First off I agree you have to be able to pull up your caches info offline, make it friendly for the iPod Touch users that may not have internet out in the woods.

2. Would be cool if you could interface it with the google maps to show your approx position that iphone has and the throw down a bunch of the thumb tacks with the cache name and you click it and the balloon opens up to tell you more. and if you can mark the ones you found with the time. Your on the right track! Awesome.

13. Scott said,

Wrote on April 21, 2008 @ 9:27 am

This is a great iPhone app! Now I don’t need to drag the old PDA with me. Thank you very much for creating this.

Comment RSS